Welcome to the
The goal of this international competition is to identify and showcase scientific micrographs and movie clips. While there must be scientific content in the images, winning entries will also exhibit exceptional composition and other esthetic qualities. The competition, open to all types of microscopy, is divided into three categories:
The micrograph submission site will be open January 1 to February 21, 2019. A panel of judges will identify a number of finalists in each category and also select the first ($500), second ($300), and third ($100) prizes in each category. Members of the microscopy community will have the opportunity to vote for the "people's choice award." All micrograph awards will be presented at the annual M&M meeting.
- Published micrograph category: static/still images first published within the calendar year prior to the contest.
- Open unpublished micrograph category: unpublished static/still images acquired by any microscopist.
- Video micrograph category: movie/streaming data clips up to 60 seconds in length, acquired directly with a microscope or generated as a video reconstruction from microscopy data. Confocal light microscopy image stacks that create 3-D images may be submitted as still or as an animated sequence exhibiting 3-D characteristics.
Rules and Eligibility
- Images submitted must have been taken by the submitter.
- If the copyright to the image is owned by another person or organization, permission must be granted to enter the image. Be sure to obtain a digital signed permission form (see below) before proceeding to the submission page.
- The copyright form must be submitted with your submission. You can
download that form here
- Up to three images may be submitted per year, and the images do not have to be in the same category.
- Current editors and editorial board members of Microscopy Society of America publications, as well as current MSA Council members, are not eligible to submit to this competition.